A stone for a pillow?
Jacob left Beersheba and set out for Haran. When he reached a certain place, he stopped for the night because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones there, he put it under his head and lay down to sleep. (…)When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it." He was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven." Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz. Genesis 28: 10,11 and 16-19
Dear Father,
It is hard for me to understand why you loved Jacob and hated Esau… Jacob was a deceiver who took his brother’s birthright and his Father’s blessing for the oldest brother. Now he is cowardly running away to escape his brother’s revenge. He manipulates, bargains and cheats – I just don’t understand why you loved this man!
But then again, I just don’t understand why you love me either…
You made a promise and – just like Jacob’s father – you remain true to your Word. Jacob receives your blessing – after all that he has done… I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying.
There’s so much intriguing information hidden in this story, Lord! I need to find out about this stairway to heaven with angels walking up and down. And I need to get my head around this strange stone that Jacob used as a pillow. Who on earth would use a stone as a pillow?? And why does this pillow become a pillar that is anointed by Jacob who also builds an altar on this holy Bethel spot?
Enough questions for this week, Father. Help me to understand your Word, I know that you will explain this to me. In the meantime I just want to thank you for giving me your promises and blessings. I don’t think that I am entitled to receive so much goodness. You truly are a merciful God.
.jpg)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home